Monday, February 5, 2007

Once is Nonce.

I.
Sometimes, instead of songs or ad-jingles, I get phrases or words stuck inside my head. They involuntarily permeate my conciousness and I'll repeat them over and again. Often without any consideration to the meaning or implications of it. I'll just be watching a movie or trying to sleep and some word, as an example i'll use "progeny", will sneak it's way aboard my train of thought. "Hmm, I should get up earlier tommorow progeny. What should I make for breakfast? Progeny. Wait, ew!" and so on.

I just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being, something i've been meaning to do for a very long time. I had very high expectations for it, and it exceeded every one of them. It's been a long time (about the same length at which I had been meaning to read it) since I read something that brings up certain ideas that I'll constantly be concious of. The ideas brought up in this book stick like the words or phrases I mentioned earlier, with the addition of consideration and contemplation. I've never understood eternal recurrance, (or eternal return, whichever floats) and in fact i still don't. But since reading this book I can't stop thinking about it.

Let's say reincarnation is totally secular. Forget God. And you are born once again with the entire memory and experience you had when you died the first time. You'd probably live your life differently the second time around. But it happens again, and again an infinate number of times. At what point do your influences and choices pleateau so you'd live the same life over and over?

Anyways, I'm not very good at articulating these kind of thoughts. In summary; Milan Kundera: cool dude.

II.
I'd like to make note, for anyone who may actually be reading this, that this blog is entirely self-interested. It is merely a collection of words pertaining to who I think I am. And there is no intended audience, exept myself in about one year hence.

No comments: